What steps can I take to enforce my rights?

Before you take any other steps, it’s important to gather documentary evidence. Even if you have no legal residence, you can still take all the steps described below.

Carry out a negotiation yourself.

Some employers are open to discussion. Colleagues are often able to help with this. If your employer mistreats you or doesn’t pay you however, you should leave. Employers who claim they will pay you later, rarely do.

Ask for help

It can sometimes help if a documented person goes with you to your employers or mediates for you. Mediation often has more chance of success than an official complaint. You may well have to compromise and you need to be able to rely on your employer to keep to the agreement. Your employer’s customers are sometimes also able to exert pressure on your employer.
If you can’t reach an agreement with your employer, the testimony of the mediator can be useful in any subsequent steps.

Legal action

Je kan ook een klacht indienen bij de arbeidsinspectie. Je vindt hier meer informatie.

Of je kan ook naar de rechtbank stappen hier vind je nodige informatie.

Important! Never commit any criminal offence in order to enforce your rights. Never use threats, physical violence or theft. This could put your rights at risk.