I work as self-employed or as an active partner. What does this mean?

A self-employed person is someone who works for themselves and is therefore their own boss.

The employment rights described on this website only apply to employees. Anyone working for themselves is self-employed, and as such, cannot claim rights regarding a minimum wage or compensation for a workplace accident. In addition, people who are self-employed are personally responsible for their Social Security contributions and taxes. It is also a punishable offence to carry out undeclared and clandestine work.

There are various forms of self-employment. Let’s take a brief look at two forms of self-employment in which you work for a single company: as an active partner and a self-employed helper.

  • An active partner: owns a number of shares in the company. The number of shares you own is registered in the company’s share register. The share register is in the company’s office. Your work for this company is focused on making the shares profitable.
  • A self-employed helper: carries out a professional activity in, and for the purposes of, their own name (sole proprietorship). They can engage helpers. As a self-employed helper, you hold no shares in the company, but work on an independent basis for the company. You have no employment contract and have a measure of freedom in deciding what you do.

Although you are linked to the company in both of the aforementioned situations, you are not actually an employee. As a self-employed person, you have a certain amount of freedom as regards how you go about your own work. This includes being able to decide for yourself when and how you carry out your work.

Caution! If you officially work in such a status but have zero freedom, you may be ‘pseudo self-employed’. Find out more about this and the options open to you by clicking this link.