Is medical help available for people who have no legal residence?

If you are unable to pay for medical help and you have no residence permit, you can invoke the ‘Urgent Medical Assistance’ procedure. The OCMW will then pay your medical bills. Speak to specialised services for how to go about this.

What you should do:

  • Ask your doctor in advance to give you an ‘urgent medical assistance certificate’.
  • Take this within 1 month, to the OCMW or municipality where you reside most of the time. Ask them to start the ‘Urgent Medical Assistance’ procedure.
  • Explain your situation. Ask expressly to speak to social services.