Sectoral minimum wages
The official minimum wages provide for an increase in wages according to the level of seniority. The minimum wage must therefore be increased each year. Wages should be paid in euros (€) (not in a foreign currency) and the amount the employee is entitled to depends on the sub-category they belong to.
The following table shows the amount a housekeeper should earn per hour or per month (working full-time):
Payment in kind
The general principle is that as a housekeeper your salary must be paid in money, but for live-in housekeepers, the law allows some (not all) of the salary to be paid in kind.. However, this is only permitted if certain conditions are met:
- The payment in kind must be mentioned in a written contract. If you have no written contract, payment in kind is not permitted.
- This must be clearly stated in writing before you start work.
- An employer is not allowed to profit from the situation.
- All expenses must be calculated on the basis of current market prices.
Welke kosten kunnen afgetrokken worden als betalingen in natura?:
The law stipulates fixed amounts for the following costs:
- The cost price for gas, electricity, water, heating and fuel.
- Meals (the law provides fixed daily amounts).
- Breakfast: €0.55
- Midday meal (or your main meal): €1.09
- Evening meal: €0.84
- Accommodation (use of a bedroom): €0.74