Approval by the Protocol Directorate

The employment of diplomatic housekeeping staff must be approved by the Protocol Directorate. A model employment contract must be signed and both the employer and the employee must meet certain conditions before this can be approved.

Conditions for approval

You will find all the information about the administrative procedure for employment approval in the Protocol Guide, put together by the Protocol Directorate. We list the most relevant points here.

De werknemer

The candidate for private employment:

  • Must not hold Belgian nationality or be a permanent resident of Belgium.
  • Must not be illegally resident or temporarily resident in Belgium (for example as a tourist, au pair or student).
  • Must be at least 18 years old.


  • The employer must ask permission from the Protocol Directorate by way of a verbal memo from the diplomatic mission.
  • An employment contract based on Belgian law must be signed.
  • A declaration of intent to return home must be signed by both parties.

You will find more information about the employment contract here.

Sociale zekerheid & verzekeringen

  • If the employee is not exempt from declaring to Belgian Social Security, the employer must submit a certificate of affiliation and proof of registration with a health insurance fund or with the welfare fund for healthcare and disability insurance (HZIV).
  • If the employee is exempt from reporting to Belgian Social Security, the employer must provide a certificate of affiliation to the social security system of the sending state or third country and proof of private medical insurance (paid for by the employer).
  • An insurance policy paid for by the employer covering accidents at work and the costs of any necessary repatriation.

You will find more information on social security & medical insurance here.

Verblijf in België

  • The employee will be issued with a special identity card, valid for one year and renewable to the maximum residence duration of 10 years.
  • The return journey home must be paid for by the employer.

You will find more information here.